Se Habla Español
Siragusa Law Firm Logo

Can I Receive Child Support Even if I Was Not Married to the Child’s Parent?

Get Your Consultation Now

If you co-parent with someone and you are not married, you likely have a lot of questions regarding child custody and child support. Read on to learn more about how child custody and child support are determined in New Jersey when it comes to arrangements between unmarried parents.

How Is Custody Determined for Unmarried Parents?

When two parents are unmarried and looking to create a custody agreement, or obtain custody of the child, there are many things to be aware of pertaining to New Jersey law. In these situations, the state allows unmarried parents to enter a non-dissolution “FD” case. This allows the unmarried parents the right to a variety of things, including the following:

  • Establish legal paternity for the child
  • Establish legal custody orders for a minor
  • Enforce child support or alimony payments
  • Create a parenting time court order for biological parents
  • Set grandparent/adult sibling visitation orders

It is important to contact an experienced family law attorney in order to achieve the above.

Child Support For Unmarried Parents

New Jersey courts are looking out for the child’s best interests. New Jersey operates under the policy that children have a right to financial support from both parents, regardless of the relationship status of the parents. This means that children are entitled to share in the current income of both parents, which is reflected in child support determinations. For unmarried parents, the New Jersey Child Support Guidelines are used to determine child support.

These guidelines apply to parties with a combined net income between $170 and $3,600 per week. There are several factors that are also considered along with the guidelines. Some of these include:

  • The income and assets of each parent
  • The earning capacity of the child
  • The age and health of the child, and any special needs they may have
  • Debts and liabilities of each child and parent
  • The custody arrangement
  • The child’s need for further education

If one parent fails to fulfill his or her child support obligations, the law provides an avenue for enforcing these orders.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding child support for unmarried parents in New Jersey, our firm is here to help. Contact us today to speak with an experienced and dedicated family law attorney.

Contact our Firm

If you require experienced legal representation for a matter of Family Law, Supplemental Security Income, Medical Malpractice, Social Security Disability, or Legal Malpractice, Siragusa Law Firm is here to help. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your case.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts