Se Habla Español
Siragusa Law Firm Logo

Child Support in New Jersey | Frequently Asked Questions

Get Your Consultation Now

If you are getting divorced, you may have a number of questions and concerns about child support. Read on to learn the answers to some of the most common questions regarding child support in New Jersey.

How does a court determine child support?

When determining child support arrangements, a New Jersey judge will examine some of the following factors:

  • The child custody arrangement
  • The needs of the child
  • The age and health of each parent
  • The age and health of the child
  • The standard of living of each parent
  • Both parents’ economic situations
  • Assets and liabilities of each parent
  • The child’s educational needs

When does child support end?

It is important to understand that you have to continue paying child support until the court states otherwise. Many child support arrangements can end once the child reaches the age of emancipation. In the state of New Jersey, this age is generally 19 years old. However, child support can be extended beyond this age, or terminated early, depending on the situation. For example, child support will typically be extended in the event that the child decides to pursue higher education. On the other hand, support may be terminated if you can prove that the child is financially independent and no longer requires support.

What if I refuse to pay child support?

Failing to pay court-ordered child support can land you in serious legal trouble. In New Jersey, the court may enforce support in the following ways:

  • Find the other party in contempt of court which is a criminal offense
  • Garnishing wages in order to secure payment
  • Seizing property of the other party in order to sell the items to raise funds for child support payments
  • Placing liens on owned properties in order to raise funds upon child support payments
  • Work directly with banks to deduct funds directly from checking or savings accounts

If you have any questions or concerns about child support, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced family law attorney.

Contact our Firm

If you need legal representation for a matter of Family Law, Supplemental Security Income, Medical Malpractice, Social Security Disability, or Legal Malpractice, contact Siragusa Law Firm today.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts