Getting into a car accident can leave you frazzled and confused. If you are injured, it can be even worse. Every accident is different and is caused by a different set of circumstances. As a result, it is a good idea to have a general idea of how to deal with an accident before one happens.
Some things you can do when you get in a car accident is:
- Try and remain calm. Take a breather and try to process what happened.
- Make sure passengers in your vehicle are ok and safe. Check the severity of the accident, if you can. However, try not to make any sudden movements or remove yourself or anyone else from the car. If there are serious injuries make sure to call 9-1-1 right away.
- Exchange information with others in the accident, if you can. It is a good idea to collect insurance information, as well as contact information. Remember to collect contact information for anyone not involved in the accident who may have witnessed what happened.
- Even if the accident does not seem serious at the time, it is a good idea to contact the police in order to have them create an official report of the accident, in case you later discover that the damage to your vehicle or injuries are more severe than you initially thought.
- Ask any officers on the scene to get you medical help if you or your passenger require it.
- Take photographs with your phone or a camera of the accident scene, including the other vehicles, the road, and any signs in the area. If you have visible injuries, take pictures if you can do so without making things worse.
- Write down everything you can remember about the accident as soon as possible. Try and remember conditions on the road, weather conditions, where the other vehicles were and what may have caused the accident.
After you have gone home from the accident, contact your primary care physician and any other recommended medical professionals to help with any additional treatment you may need. Make sure you follow the directions of your doctors as failing to obtain the recommended treatment(s) may reduce or eliminate damages in a subsequent lawsuit. It may also be a good idea to contact a personal injury attorney right away if you were injured from the car accident, even if you are not sure you have a valid case.
If you were involved in a car accident, and you believe that someone else was at fault, contact our firm today to discuss your options.
If you require experienced legal representation for a matter of Social Security Disability, Supplemental Security Insurance, Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, or Legal Malpractice, Siragusa Law Firm is here to help. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your case.