Se Habla Español
Siragusa Law Firm Logo

How Can I Appeal a Family Court Decision in New Jersey?

Get Your Consultation Now
family walking in street

When you’re in family court for whatever reason, whether it pertains to child custody or visitation rights, it can be an anxiety-inducing time. However, when you find that the outcome of your case does not accurately reflect the details provided, you may not know how to proceed. Luckily, there is an appeals process you can follow to help overturn the decision. It’s vital to enlist the assistance of a Somerset County family law attorney to help you appeal a family court decision. Keep reading to learn more.

Why Might I Want to Appeal a Family Court Decision?

There are a number of reasons that some may want to file an appeal. However, this most commonly is because they have a strong personal attachment to the circumstances. In many instances, the appeals process can be expensive. As such, many people make this sacrifice to appeal decisions surrounding custody agreements or child support payments because the judge has made a legitimate legal error or abused their power in some form.

How Can I File an Appeal?

If you want to file an appeal for a decision regarding a family law outcome, there are vital you must note before beginning the process. You cannot file an appeal simply because you do not like or disagree with the outcome of your case. There must be a legal error regarding your case.

Once you decide to file the appeal, you must submit a notice to the Appellate Division. This involved completing the necessary forms and including any documents or evidence that support an appeal. You also must include the final judgment in your appeal, as oral decisions cannot be overturned.

It’s also important to note that you must pay a court fee if you want to file. This can be expensive, as the cost for court transcripts is $1,000 per full trial day, on top of the $250 appeal filing fee. In some instances, you may be eligible to waive the fees if you fall 150% below the poverty level and have no more than $2,500 in liquid assets.

Finally, it’s vital to note that you must file the appeal within 45 days of the filing of the superior court or state agency’s decision, and 21 days after if you are appealing the termination of your parental rights.

Because the deadlines are very short, it’s essential to contact an experienced attorney to help you through this process as soon as possible. At the Siragusa Law Firm, we understand how important family law decisions can be to you and your loved ones. As such, we will do everything possible to help you navigate the complexities of this issue. Contact us today to learn how we can assist you through the appeals process.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts