Read on to discover how to get through a divorce from a narcissist and how a seasoned Somerset County divorce attorney of Siragusa Law Firm can fight on your behalf and ensure that your needs are met in the divorce outcome.
What are the traits of a narcissist?
The following are common traits that a narcissist possesses:
- They are emotionally manipulative.
- They thrive in environments of chaos and drama.
- They think highly of themself.
- They constantly seek admiration from others.
- They believe they are superior to others.
- They lack empathy for others.
With these traits, a narcissist can make the courtroom into a battlefield during your divorce proceedings.
With what strategies can I get through a divorce from a narcissist?
Put simply, a narcissist is constantly seeking to control the situation they are in. This is why, if you are getting through a divorce with a narcissist, you must learn how to hold your own. Below are three strategies that will make this achievable:
- Be accepting: at this point, there is no chance, and no use, to change your spouse’s behavior. So, you should just accept the situation that you are in. This will allow you to prioritize yourself and the needs that you would like met in your divorce outcome.
- Be educated: books about narcissism can help you understand how your spouse operates. If not books, you should go to a therapist who is trained in high-conflict divorces.
- Be neutral: even with a divorce, your narcissistic spouse will want to still be emotionally engaged with you. They will do this by sending harassing messages to you, speaking poorly about you in front of your child, and claiming false statements against you in court, among other things. This is all in an effort to maintain emotional control over you. To avoid giving them this satisfaction, you must remain calm and remain disengaged.
How can a Somerset County family law attorney help me get through a divorce from a narcissist?
Mediation is likely not an option if you are dealing with a narcissistic spouse. So, you will likely have to undergo litigation. However, since your spouse may enjoy the conflict involved in litigation, they may attempt to dominate the proceedings. With this, the process may be more drawn out, expensive, and emotionally draining than you anticipated.
For this reason, you must retain the services of a competent Somerset County family law attorney who will provide you with a strong legal defense. Do not hesitate in picking up the phone and giving our firm a call today.
Contact our Firm
If you need legal representation for a matter of Family Law, Supplemental Security Income, Medical Malpractice, Social Security Disability, or Legal Malpractice, contact Siragusa Law Firm today.