Se Habla Español
Siragusa Law Firm Logo

What Are My Options if My Alimony Agreement is Not Enforced?

Get Your Consultation Now

If your alimony agreement is not being enforced, do not wait to reach out to our firm today. At the Siragusa Law Firm, our skilled New Jersey divorce attorneys are equipped with the knowledge and experience required to fight for your rights. Contact us today.

What are the benefits of an alimony agreement?

Alimony agreements are set in place so that divorced couples can maintain the same or similar lifestyle that they had when they were married. While alimony can be used for a variety of different expenses, they are usually used for mortgage payments, food, car payments, clothing, and more. With the help of alimony payments, those who are unable to adequately support themselves will be able to more easily do so and can even pursue any educational or professional aspirations to advance themselves.

It is critical to note that once an alimony agreement is signed, both spouses are lawfully bound to it and must stick to the terms stated. Unfortunately, in some cases, alimony terms are not always followed by the obligated payor. While there can be a number of different reasons why this might occur, it is still most important that you reach out to an experienced New Jersey divorce attorney that can help you communicate with your former spouse to ensure that alimony responsibilities are being met.

What can happen if I do not receive alimony payments?

A former spouse may stop paying alimony for many reasons. For instance, changes in life circumstances such as loss of employment, injury, or illness are all typical factors that can hinder an individual from being able to earn enough money to meet alimony responsibilities. If a couple is in this unfortunate situation, communication between the former spouses can be rare or even non-existent. That is why you will need a dedicated New Jersey divorce attorney to represent you and speak on your behalf. Our legal team can help you enforce or modify the alimony agreement.

Do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today to begin. Our attorneys are committed to ensuring that you are receiving the support you need.

What will a court consider in a motion for enforcement of the alimony agreement?

If a New Jersey court finds that your former spouse is not following the alimony agreement set in place, the court may do the following to recover your payments:

  • Find the other party in contempt of court which is a criminal offense
  • Garnishing wages in order to secure payment
  • Seizing property of the other party in order to sell the items to raise funds for alimony payments
  • Placing liens on owned properties in order to raise funds upon sal
  • Work directly with banks to deduct funds directly from checking or savings accounts

Contact our Firm

If you require experienced legal representation for a matter of Family Law, Supplemental Security Income, Medical Malpractice, Social Security Disability, or Legal Malpractice, Siragusa Law Firm is here to help. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your case.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts