Se Habla Español
Siragusa Law Firm Logo

What if Divorced Parents Disagree About Vaccinating Their Children?

Get Your Consultation Now

Often, parents disagree about how to raise their children. This is especially true when it comes to vaccines. People have vastly different opinions about the COVID-19 vaccine, and vaccinating children may be especially controversial. If you co-parent, you and your child’s other parent may disagree about whether to vaccinate your child against the virus. Read on to learn more about your rights as a parent what to do in the event of a disagreement.

What are the Different Types of Custody in New Jersey?

It is important to know that there are different types of custody that may be awarded in New Jersey:

  • Physical custody: This refers to the parent or guardian who has the child more nights per week. The child’s nights may also be evenly divided, depending on what works best.
  • Legal custody: This refers to the parent who makes the important decisions regarding the child. These decisions may include issues such as academics and medical options, among others. It is important to note that both parents have the opportunity for legal custody, even if only one parent has physical custody.

In rare cases, a parent may be awarded sole custody.

  • Sole custody: This occurs when the court deems one parent unfit. This means that the fit parent is fully responsible for the child. The unfit parent may have supervised or unsupervised visitation rights, depending on the situation.

Sole Legal Custody

If you have sole legal custody, it is up to you whether you vaccinate your child.

But, if you share legal custody, things can be more complicated. If you and your ex-spouse share custody, and cannot agree about vaccinating your child, it may be a good idea to reach out to your child’s pediatrician in order to make the most informed decision. If you still cannot decide, the objecting parent could request mediation to work out a solution. If mediation does not work, and a compromise cannot be reached, you will need a New Jersey court to make the decision on your behalf. When making a decision like this, the court is working to do what is in your child’s best interest.

If you and your ex are in disagreement over vaccinating your child, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to discuss your options with an experienced family law attorney.

Contact our Firm

If you require experienced legal representation for a matter of Family Law, Supplemental Security Income, Medical Malpractice, Social Security Disability, or Legal Malpractice, Siragusa Law Firm is here to help. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your case.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts