Se Habla Español
Siragusa Law Firm Logo

What to Know About Post-Judgment Modifications in New Jersey

Get Your Consultation Now

When you get divorced, you and your ex will have to make a number of important decisions. Some of the most important decisions you may have to make include child support, child custody, and spousal support. New Jersey courts work hard to ensure that your children are in a happy, healthy, safe, and stable environment. For this reason, once these arrangements are in place, they can be difficult to change. That being said, there are various situations in which someone may need to request a modification. Read on to learn more about post-judgment modifications in New Jersey.

What Circumstances May Call for a Modification? 

There are various reasons that you may need to request a modification. Some of the most common reasons include:

  • A child reaches the age of emancipation and no longer needs child support payments
  • A child is in college and financial responsibility must be determined
  • If there are changes in the child’s schedule, a former spouse’s custody terms, parenting time, and visitation schedule may need to be adjusted
  • If either party receives a promotion, demotion, loses their job, becomes disabled, etc., there may need to be an increase or decrease in spousal and/or child support payments.
  • If either party exposes their child to domestic violence, substance abuse, a serious mental illness, etc., custody agreements may need changing

How Can I Modify an Arrangement?

New Jersey courts work hard to ensure that these arrangements work well for all parties involved. As a result, they can be difficult to modify once they have been put in place. But, as stated above, there are a number of reasons to modify an arrangement. To do so, you should reach out to an experienced family law attorney to discuss your options and begin the process.

Can Modifications be Enforced?

Modifications are taken very seriously in New Jersey. Two ways the New Jersey Rules of Court enforces custody arrangements can include “motion to enforce litigant’s rights” or “additional remedies.” Enforcing the litigant’s rights may include a fine or even incarceration. Additional remedies may include the following:

  • Compensatory time with the children
  • Economic sanctions
  • Modifying transportation arrangements
  • Pick-up and return of the children in public spaces
  • Counseling for children or parents
  • Temporary or permanent modifications to the arrangement
  • Participation by the violating parent in an approved community service program
  • Issuance of a warrant if violations continue

Contact our firm today to discuss post-judgment modifications and any questions or concerns you may have.

Contact our Firm

If you require experienced legal representation for a matter of Family Law, Supplemental Security Income, Medical Malpractice, Social Security Disability, or Legal Malpractice, Siragusa Law Firm is here to help. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your case.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts