Se Habla Español
Siragusa Law Firm Logo

How do I bring a personal injury lawsuit against the State of New Jersey or other government entity?

Get Your Consultation Now

You may find yourself in a situation where you believe you have been injured because of the negligence of the State of New Jersey, a local municipality, or other government agency.   You might feel as though it is not worth bringing a lawsuit because it can be intimidating to sue the State or other governing body. However, with the help of an experienced and effective personal injury attorney, there are ways that injured parties can bring successful lawsuits. A successful lawsuit can recover significant damages to help the injured party cover the costs of medical bills and lost wages and offer compensation for pain and suffering, among other losses.

If an injured party wishes to file a claim against the State or other governing body in New Jersey, there are a few things to be aware of. First, the injured party is required to serve a Notice of Tort Claim (a “Notice”). This simply means that the injured person must file the Notice, which advises the public entity of his or her intent to due within 90 days of the date of the accident.  The party must then wait at least six months to file suit, in order to allow the State or other public entity to investigate the claim and determine if the parties might be able to reach agreement without the need for a lawsuit.  If the lawsuit is filed after the 90-day requirement and no Notice has been served, and the lawsuit is subject to dismissal and the injured party may miss out on valuable compensation. Some of the information required in the Notice of Claim includes a description of the accident, the name of the agency that caused the accident, the names of those involved, and the negligence that those individuals committed to cause the accident.

If you believe that you have suffered an injury due to the negligence of the State of New Jersey or other public agency, municipality or governing body, it is very important that you reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney immediately to protect your rights.  Please contact us to discuss your rights.

Contact our Firm

If you require experienced legal representation for a matter of Family Law, Supplemental Security Income, Medical Malpractice, Social Security Disability, or Legal Malpractice, Siragusa Law Firm is here to help. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your case.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts