Se Habla Español
Siragusa Law Firm Logo

Does a Parent with No Visitation Rights Have to Pay Child Support in NJ?

Get Your Consultation Now

To learn more about whether or not a parent with no custodial or visitation rights is responsible for child support, read on and reach out to our skilled Somerset County child support attorney today.

How does a New Jersey court establish child support responsibilities?

In New Jersey, courts will consider a number of different factors when deciding the amount of child support one spouse should provide for the other. One of the most important aspects that are examined is if one spouse was financially independent in the marriage. If you were the spouse who received higher annual earnings, there is an increased chance that you will owe child support, and the less your former spouse earns, the more you be accountable for. Furthermore, courts in New Jersey will also assess whether your child has special needs, if your child plans on obtaining higher education or attending university, and many other factors concerning your child’s best interests. Note that New Jersey courts will always make their decisions based on the child’s best interests.

Will a parent without visitation rights have to pay child support in New Jersey?

If you are a supporting parent, you will need to recognize that child support is not reliant on child custody. Essentially, no matter what your custody agreement and visitation rights are, even if your former spouse has sole custody of your child if the courts determine that you must pay child support, you are required to do so. If you are unable or simply do not make your routine child support payments, you can anticipate facing a number of serious consequences that will be enforced by New Jersey courts.

Because of this, you should keep in mind that in many circumstances, you may have your support agreement modified. For example, when a child gets to a certain age, he or she may no longer be qualified for support payments. Additionally, if your child is financially independent, he or she may also no longer be authorized to receive child support. On the other hand, however, you should recognize that if your child has special needs or is preparing to attend college, as the parent receiving the support you can ask for an extension on your support agreement, even if your child has reached an age where support would otherwise be concluded. Reach out to our firm today to speak with our Somerset County family law attorney about any questions you may have.

Contact our Firm

If you require experienced legal representation for a matter of Family Law, Supplemental Security Income, Medical Malpractice, Social Security Disability, or Legal Malpractice, Siragusa Law Firm is here to help. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your case.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts