Se Habla Español
Siragusa Law Firm Logo

What Should I Do if My Ex Left NJ With My Child Without Court Authorization?

Get Your Consultation Now

If your former spouse has left the state of New Jersey in violation of a custody agreement ordered by the court, you will need to reach out to our firm as soon as possible. Our experienced Somerset County child custody attorney is on your side. Give us a call today to ensure you and your child are protected.

What should I do if my ex recently left New Jersey with my child, in violation of our custody agreement?

If your former spouse has taken your child out of the state of New Jersey in violation of a custody order, our legal team can help. Keep in mind that it is illegal for a non-custodial parent to leave the state without the other parent’s permission or permission from the courts. The one irregularity to this may be if the parent and the child are in some kind of problem and they happen to cross state lines while fleeing from that danger. With this in mind, if your ex left the state in violation of your custody agreement or is refusing to return your child and you fear for your child’s safety, it is imperative that you call the police right away.

It is also essential to recognize that in many cases, violating this agreement, whether a child is in danger or not, is sufficient enough to warrant a modification to the initial custody agreement. These agreements are legal documents and, if they are not followed completely, those who violate them can expect to face serious consequences penalties. Ultimately, the court will have to weigh the facts of your case and determine whether your ex’s violation is substantial enough to warrant a custody change.

Do not wait to reach out to our firm today if you have any questions or would like help battling an allegation of custody agreement violation. Our legal team is just one call away.

What modifications can be made after a divorce?

The following are the divorce terms that can be modified in the state of New Jersey:

Child Support: If a person’s financial situation is different, the amount that either spouse owes can be requested to be increased or decreased.
Spousal Support: If a person’s financial or personal situation alters, they may ask that the amount they owe be adjusted.
Child Custody: If either parent or child experiences a change that finds the current custody agreement no longer applicable, child custody can be requested to be revised.

Contact our Firm

If you require experienced legal representation for a matter of Family Law, Supplemental Security Income, Medical Malpractice, Social Security Disability, or Legal Malpractice, Siragusa Law Firm is here to help. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation so we can discuss your case.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts